CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for PHP coders who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications. If you’re a developer who lives in the real world of shared hosting accounts and clients with deadlines, and if you’re tired of ponderously large and thoroughly undocumented frameworks, then CodeIgniter might be a good fit.The first public version of CodeIgniter was released on February 28, 2006, and the latest stable version 2.1.4 was released July 8, 2013
1) MVC Architecture http://www.rapidz.co.uk/the-magic-barrier-from-spaghetti-code-to-mvc/#.UwWh3_mSw7Q
2) Little to no server requirements.
Unlike other PHP frameworks, CI works with both PHP 4 and 5. That makes the lives of someone like me who has to be able to work seamlessly between the two environments much easier. Of course I have painted myself into a corner from time and used PHP5 techniques in my apps, but the framework itself works on either.
3) You can extend CodeIgniter to your own needs and still have custom functionality.
4) Framework with a small footprint.
5) No “installation” necessary.
Believe it or not, one of the hardest things I have experienced with trying new frameworks is installing them. I am not a fan of UNIX command line so I tend to look for tools that I can install and use by just uploading files to a directory. CI fits this requirement nicely. No need for PEAR packages or server modifications to get the framework up and running. Just upload the files to your server and your off.
6) Built in security tools.
CI allows you to implement as much or as little security as you feel is necessary for your app. It does some things by default like unsetting all global variables regardless of PHPs register_globals directive and turning off the magic_quotes_runtime directive during system initialization so that you don’t have to remove slashes when retrieving data from your database. Other things can be enabled like cookie encryption, handling session data with a database and automatically escaping SQL queries.
7) CodeIgniter Generates Clean URLs.
8) Large and active user community.
The last time I checked, there were over 57,000 registered members on the CI forums. That is a nice and big user community to work with when you have a problem or question. The CI website has a forum and wiki when your looking for answers. No confusing group mailing lists or chat channels just to get a quick answer to a question.
9)CodeIgniter Does Not Require a Template Engine.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Codeigniter Framework for PHP Web Development Projects
1. Easy and hassle-free migration from server hosting to server hosting.
2.You can construct your own cleaner URI lines in CodeIgniter.
3.Keep Your Links Up-To-Date Automatically while migration from server hosting to server hosting.
4. It makes coding in PHP simple, quick and user-friendly.
5. Offers flexibility and easy management With MVC based framework.
6.. Active Record Implementation is simply superb and easy to remember.
7. Provides easier configuration and customization of configuration files.
8. Easy handling and customizing.
9. Codeigniter documentation is excellent, as it not only has an excellent user guide, but tons of tutorials and screencasts as well.
10. Awesome documentation of the user guide, which makes it easy for any coder to use the whole framework.
11. Enables to incorporate its own existing scripts as well as develop core libraries for the system,
12. Lightweight and extensive Thai user base.
1. Its PHP based only and not very object-oriented in some parts
2.Library / plugin / extension is very limited.
3. Company-driven instead of community-driven,
4.. Irregular releases
5.Not suitable for use on a large scale project.
Benefits of Codeigniter:
1. A small track and astounding presentation
2. Provision of broad compatibility along with standard hosting accounts,
3. Configuration and normal coding rules are not required
4. Depiction of straightforward solutions 5. Free from complex structures and development.
interest over time
Speed Up Your CodeIgniter Website By Using These Tricks
1) Enable Gzip Compression: Go to application/config/config.php and enable the Gzip compression: $config[‘compress_output’] = TRUE;
2) Enable Cache function
4) Image compression and scaling
How to secure your website while using CodeIgniter?
1) Always Initialize Your Variables
2) Don’t trust user input
3) Always use escape functions to prevent SQL Injections
4) Validate the Input
5) Use escape functions on output.
6) display_errors should be turned off in your production environment. Instead of it, you can use log_errors.
7) Don’t have phpinfo() in your webroot, because it exposes info about configuration, pathes, extensions, etc.
8) Disable expose_php and change the default filetypes may also help.
Who uses Codeigniter
1,203,001 active sites are using CodeIgniter.
1) demotivation http://builtwith.com/demotivation.us
2) gunsafeauctiondeals http://builtwith.com/gunsafeauctiondeals.com
4) emailingaprisoner http://builtwith.com/emailingaprisoner.com
5) labordaymovie http://builtwith.com/labordaymovie.com
Why we use Codeigniter
1. Simplicity – Very easy to use (This is the right framework it simplify things not complicate)
2. Documentation – Very very nice documentation.
3. No commercialism – It’s 100% free and they don’t offer to force you to buy products/services. (Unlike Zend Framework)
4. Massive community – Really…
5. Tons of resources